- Region: Europe
- Sector: Industrials
- Stage: Small/Mid buyout
- Type: Co-Investment
Private Equity Manager (GP)
About the company
Satlink is a global leader in the development of technological solutions for the maritime sector, focusing on sustainable fishing. Its products optimise decision-making by fishing vessels and help regulators audit ethical fishing methods.
- Satlink offers several different products, services and technological solutions to its customers. The company has an international presence and holds a market-leading position in a highly concentrated sector.
- The private equity manager, Ergon Capital Partners (“Ergon”), regards Satlink’s core business as a strong growth platform as it operates in a market with high barriers to entry, has a strong financial profile and low customer churn.
- Further sources of growth include an increased service offering, the possibility of enhancing its subscription model and developing a more extensive oceanography product range.
- Pantheon is a primary investor with Ergon and an Advisory Board member. Ergon had been tracking Satlink over several years and was ultimately attracted to it as the theme of technological disruption in a traditional market is consistent with several of their previous investments.
- As a result of the relationship between Pantheon and Ergon, PIP was offered the opportunity to co-invest alongside Ergon in this exciting company.
- Satlink’s products support sustainable fishing and contribute to the health of marine ecosystems:
- The company’s smart buoy products identify and distinguish schools of fish to make fishing more accurate by reducing the capture of non-target fish.
- Satlink’s technology helps preserve marine ecosystems by ensuring that only species with healthy stocks are fished, while the capture of vulnerable species is minimised.
- This results in better fuel efficiency in fishing vessels, and an overall reduction in their carbon footprint.
- Satlink is an important asset to the global ocean protection movement; it has strong links to non-governmental organisations such as charities that focus on the sustainability of fishing, and dedicates significant resources to increasing awareness of ocean sustainability. The company won a United Nations Global Compact award in February 2022 for its contribution to a more sustainable fishing industry and the preservation of marine life.
Back to case studies
You may also like
Actively managed for our shareholders
PIP's global, diversified portfolio gives exposure to many high quality managers, sectors and companies.Find out more
Our investment process
Decades of experience, expertise and deep relationships
We have a rigorous and detailed approach to selecting our private equity managers and assessing deals.Find out more